Web Analytics

Monday, February 11, 2013

Why am I fat?

7 Factors That Causes My Obesity 

Milken Institute (a non-profit, nonpartisan think tank) in California found that  a direct link exists  between spikes in technology usage and increases in obesity rates in 27 countries between 1988 and 2009.
 As per the research for every 10 percentage point increase in communication technology (ICT) investment, the obesity rate of that country climbs 1.4 percentage points, on average.

I was aware that alcohol, fast foods are responsible for obesity but I was surprised to discover that the heavy usage of technology is also a secret reason for my pot belly.

After discovering the health problems associated with obesity, I decided to find out what factors actually led to my obesity.

Here are the 7 habits which made me fat

 1. I used to sit for approximately 7 to 12 hours per day in front of a computer or TV.

sitting for long time  is bad
Sitting for a long time is bad.

Actually obesity is more than just an imbalance of calories. Cells themselves are also responsive to their mechanical environment. Fat cells produce more triglycerides [the major form of fat stored in the body], and at a faster rate, when exposed to static stretching.

So to avoid a bigger bottom, I started using a gym ball for sitting at home.  I started a small walk after lunch.


Update  on 2nd March'12
I reduced 9 kilos after 2 months. Now, I'm more serious. My next target is to 90 kg  by mid April'13.


I started following fun fitness. I just purchased adjustable height stand-up workstation along with Joe anti-fatigue mat from Amazon last month. I'm using them for last one week and feeling good.

Here is the video on
LifeSpan TR1200-DT Treadmill Desk which motivated me enough to try using standing work desk. I'm also using Spenco insole recommended by orthopedics at Lilaboti hospital, Mumbai.  
 
 



2.  I used to drink more than 10 cups of tea and coffee with sugar in at the office. I found that I used to drink only 2 glasses of plain water each day. This forced my body to retain more water which causes problems like constipation and bad sweat odor.

Drink More Water
Researchers from Virginia Tech confirmed that dieters who drink two 8-oz. glasses of water before their three daily meals lose about 5 lbs. more than dieters who do not drink pre-meal water.

I started sipping green tea at lunch because it kick-starts my metabolism and can help fend off breast cancer, says Jonathan R. Cole, M.D. And, I started drinking coffee with breakfast as it improves the metabolism. All other times I just drink plain water.

My dietician Mrs.Priya Chauhan told me the importance of Chlorogenic acid which is a key to weight loss. This is being attributed to green coffee bean. The active compound is believed to work by slowing down the release of glucose into the body after meals while at the same time boosting metabolism. These two mechanisms work together to inhibit the absorption of fat and eliminate weight gain.

3.  I started avoiding late night dinner & parties. Instead, I adopted a healthy lifestyle & diet.

Get Sleep to lose weight
During my research, I found that lack of sleep lowers the levels of leptin in blood and heightens the levels of ghrelin, which results in an increase of appetite. Good sleep also secrets enough growth hormone which improves metabolism.

I started taking dinner at 8 PM and going to sleep at 11:00 PM every day after a brief walk for 30 minutes. This helps me to jump start everyday without any anxiety & stress.

4. I used to stuff food into my mouth, instead of eating . I started using chopsticks instead of a fork to slow down and pick up each piece of food carefully.

This is one step toward changing certain eating patterns and behaviors to be more mindful of, or pay more attention to, eating habits.

I adopted few more behavioral changes associated with mindful eating like regular mealtimes, eating only in one place, such as at the dining room table, using smaller plates, eating slowly, taking small bites, taking a sip of water between bites and chewing food at least 15 times before swallowing.


5. I was addicted to computer games. I stopped playing them and started participating in various outdoor games. I joined a gym to improve my stamina & metabolism.

 This worked. My stamina has increased. Recently I completed 5K running in 45 minutes. I was inspired by Peter & Wendy. Click the link to know more on 5k Running for a cause where Peter & Wendy explained how running changed their life style.
 
6. I stopped unmindful snacking at the  office desk or in front of  the TV.   I identified that stress & exhaustion are the main binge triggers for me.  I started practicing meditation to increase my will power.

7. I guess quitting smoking and the use of some drugs regularly for blood pressure also contributed to my obesity. I think regular breathing exercises and yoga will help me in the long term.

In summary, being tech-sophisticated made my life become more sedentary, and a sedentary lifestyle was one of the reasons for my obesity and obesity-related diseases.

Click the link to know my favorite diet plan to lose weight.

Consequences of obesity are high so take care of your health now. Please send me your opinion and leave a comment to motivate me in my weight loss journey.
image sources : sitting is baddrink more water, mindful eating 

Other  Weight Loss related articles in health category

Share your comments on how to get motivated to lose weight and your fat loss tips!


 

4 comments:

  1. Dear Arindam,

    Wonderful post!!! Really enjoyed it.

    Regards,
    Partha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finally reduced from 3 digits weight to 2 digit....

      Delete
  2. but honesty i want to become fat :d

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have different goal & purpose. I know gaining weight is also difficult probably sometimes more difficult than getting thin.

      But the exercise & diet I'm following is good for everybody. Additionally you can put more effort on Yoga.

      Delete